Xinglong Temple, established in 1775 (40th year of Qianlong Era of Qing Dynasty), is an old temple on Sanxia Old Street. Its main deity is the Queen of Heaven (Mazu). The temple was destroyed in a battle between Sa-kak-eng Rebels and the Japanese army in 1895 (21st year of Guangxu Era of Qing Dynasty). When the Japanese Government implemented the “Urban Reform Project” in Taiwan in 1916 (the 5th year of the Taisho Era), Xinglong Temple was only assigned a long and narrow residential house. Due to the limited space, Mazu was settled in the middle hall, and the front hall was used as a store for selling incense and offerings, hence the name “Mazu Store”.
After multiple reconstructions, the space has been expanded to include the former residence of Li Su, who was the commander of Sa-kak-eng Rebels, and the front hall of Ailin Hospital as a part of the new temple.
▲ The statue of Mazu brought to Taiwan by Quanzhou ancestors from Meizhou Island in the early years
▲ The main hall built in accordance with the long and narrow pattern of the street houses on Old Street